Saturday, August 20, 2022

A Letter from Jan, Who Lost Her Home In the Almeda Fire

My dear friends and family,

    No one is more blessed than I.  The loss of nearly all of my material things, my home, my neighborhood, and part of my town has been the most life-changing event of my life (aside from the death of my dad when I was 14 years old). Of course, I am in shock and all kinds of grief over the loss of my independence and the ability to give my children pieces of their past. 

  There is a dimension to this that has, I hope, forever changed me. The outpouring of love and kindness has spilled over the dam of skepticism and distrust. I can’t say I know anything for certain, except that nothing in this life lasts, and that our belongings are not strong enough to secure our footing.  I like to think I was never much of a consumer, but I had my share of stuff. The false assumption that somehow a leather couch, diamond rings, closets full of clothes and shoes, cupboards filled with spices, or, in my case, file cabinets filled with historical research, vintage photographs and hand-written letters, will buffer us from harm and stave off homelessness. 

  BUT what is deeply apparent to me now is that human beings are profoundly compassionate – that they have a rooted need to reach out and rebuild and repair and console. Once my incredible children created a path for others to give, help came pouring in–not just in financial ways but in offers of help in phone calls, emails, texts, meals, shelter. I am not surprised that my close friends care – they have been beside me all the way throughout this crisis and before the fire. Especially touching to me is that strangers, the ones who don’t know me, give in to the urge to help, to lift, and to heal. I’m telling you, people, this world is not such a bad place! Before my house burned, I was beginning to lose sight of that.  

  The news has been so bleak this past year or so that I had begun to despair and even fear for the fate of our country. It was a constant, daily dread. That is why I hope that the personal compassion directed toward the victims of fire will widen to an unstoppable movement to address and work on global climate issues. Our denial that this will happen again and in countless other places is pathetic. Vote, by all means, but more importantly, use your own power to make a difference aside from politics. Use the same energy and compassion that you have shown to me and to the people of Southern Oregon to impact your own community as well. 

  I am exceedingly lucky. An empty house in Medford has opened up and I will be moving in when I get back from DC, where my daughter and son are waiting to comfort me and help me deal with the practical issues of losing one’s home and possessions. I still can’t believe how fortunate I am, and almost feel guilty that it has worked out so well for me, when I know thousands around me are suffering and uncertain where they are going to sleep at night. I still have a job--my boss and co-workers have been exceptionally patient, kind, and supportive. I was able to save my computer, some of my family photographs, some fabric to make a quilt, my sewing machine, and a couple of blankets to start my life again. As I move forward, I want to give, share, and pay back as much as I have received.

  As somewhat of a town historian, I want to say a few words about Talent. Over 600 homes were lost, about half of the businesses were lost. The black and white image of town is literally “burned” into my memory. The Talent Historical Society Museum, where I have worked and volunteered for many years, remains standing, and has preserved historic photographs of some (but not all) of the parts of town that burned. The board president of THS also lost his home in the fire – so give us some time to think about how we can record this event and gather oral histories, and exhibit the charred mementos. The main point is that the THS board loves the citizens of Talent, and we love the town both as it was and as it will be and are trying to find creative ways of helping people heal and rethink community. 

    I want to deeply, and sincerely, thank each of you, and let you know that love is refined by fire. 

                                                                            Jan

No comments:

Intro

     The purpose of this blog is to document the history of the Almeda Fire. To protect contributors, we have intentionally not allowed comm...