Tuesday, August 16, 2022

From News 10, 09/29/2020: Benjamin Swatez International Artist

Benjamin Swatez International Artist who made the Phoenix Rising mural on a van

PHOENIX, Ore. — With many still reeling from the Almeda fire, it can be hard to find beauty amid all of the destruction but one artist made it a point to do just that. Benjamin Swatez, an international artist who travels the world to help victims of war through art therapy had called Phoenix home before the fire ravished the town.

    “Phoenix first and foremost is where I have come back for the last ten years of traveling and working abroad in dangerous zones of the world, it is a safe container, a place where my mom lives, a space where I come to rest and decompress, and do my own therapy from being exposed to heavy catastrophe and death,” he said.

    Seeing his refuge and sanctuary burned to the ground inspired Swatez to use his talents to help 'Phoenix Rise from the Ashes.' He explained how his canvas called to him from the ashes.

    “While I was driving, I spotted this van and this van was painted in a powerful expressionistic abstract style, as I drove up to it, (though) I realized that was the effects from the fire,” he said.

    Swatez explained he did not paint it right away but felt an urge to share his talent with the community.

    “The composition was not planned, it emerged and it emerged by listening to the environment, the atmosphere, after I had wiped away and basically sketched this mural by erasing, I slept in my van that night in the parking lot right next to it to feel the effects of what has happened,” he said.

    He said he started to paint at sunrise on Sunday morning and as he was painting several community members shared their story with him.

     “As I was painting, more and more cars and motorcyclists would stop by, and beautiful community members showed up in tears and shared some of their hardships and sadness,” Swatez said. “I felt truly touched to have the opportunity to make eye contact, and to listen to beautiful community members that were expressing real life, real experiences, and real emotion.”

    Swatez said his experience while painting the van is priceless.

    “The owner of the van had offered this van for the use of Rogue Climate and that is why it was where it was. When she saw the van she was overjoyed and we created this really amazing bond,” he said. “She gave me permission to paint her van. Wherever I am in the world, I always seek permission to be able to paint. I don’t believe in vandalism, but I believe in beautifying our environment with respect and integrity.”

    Swatez said the owner has now donated the panel of the van, which is painted to the community of Phoenix.

    Swatez is now working to find a place for the painting titled 'Phoenix Rising from the Ashes' to be displayed as a symbol of hope.

    “This is about seeing the light and choosing to transform horrifying conditions into an opportunity for a new life for transformation,” he said. “I hope people feel it’s a reflection of their own courage, it is a depiction of the power, the strength and the unconditional love of every individual in the community.”

No comments:

Intro

     The purpose of this blog is to document the history of the Almeda Fire. To protect contributors, we have intentionally not allowed comm...