Monday, August 29, 2022

STUDENT STORY: TALENT ELEMENTARY STUDENT- Finn's Story

September 8th, 2020

    At first, it started out as just a normal day, casual, calm and serene, no trouble at all…until…11:11. I went outside and I smelled something strong: Smoke. It was DEFINTELY NOT THAT KIND OF DAY, DEFINITELY NOT THAT KIND OF DAY. But little did we know. Just after my dad had put Skyler (my sister) down for her nap, he got a notification on his computer saying: “The fire is heading toward your house, evacuate immediately!” We packed all of our electronics and left. At first, I thought our house was not going to be destroyed, “even if our house is caught by the fire, we can rebuild,” I thought to myself. It was a scary drive, and I was brave and nervous at the same time. “What is happening?!” I thought.

    Our car was low on gas but at least the yellow light wasn’t on. We drove down Colver Rd., heading towards Colman Creek where my friend Owsley lived, way up in the mountains. 5-10 minutes later, we arrived at her house. 

    Nearly two hours later, we had to evacuate again but before that happened, my dad bought a hotel room at the Holiday Inn Express. We had trouble getting Owsley’s dad’s Jeep Wrangler to start up. We finally got going and 45 to 50 minutes later we arrived in a park in Jacksonville, forgetting all about the fire, we played until my mom arrived at 6:25. We got in the car a drove to Grants Pass, it had been an exhausting day. “I will never forget this day,” I said to myself. At 7:50 my sister fell asleep as we were arriving at the Mc Donalds in south Grants Pass. A few minutes later she woke up and said, “I’m hungry.” 

    “Yes, we’re going to get some dinner, Skylar,” I said.

    5 minutes later, we were parked outside Mc Donalds and we were waiting for my dad to come out…Suddenly, we saw some firefighters go inside. “Why are they minding their own business and not helping fight the fire?” I asked.

    At approximately 8:57 sharp, my dad came out. We went to our hotel room, checked in, found our room, and had dinner. By the time we were done with dinner, it was late at night, 9:30, at least.

September 9, 2020

    Also known, in my history, as the worst day (if I said why, I’d ruin the story), I woke up and thought the fire was over. We had breakfast and went to Fred Meyer to get a few things. I got a Harry Potter Lego and Skyler got a couple of pull-back cars. We went to the car and got out of Grants Pass, heading toward Jacksonville. Later, while Skyler was taking her nap, Mommy and Daddy told me that our house had burned…I felt sadness and wished I had taken my stuffies. The rest of the day was relaxing (I am grateful to my dad for having his computer at the time).

    And we lived happily ever after.

    NOW: I live in Medford but soon we will be moving to OUR new home in Talent.

    The End

No comments:

Intro

     The purpose of this blog is to document the history of the Almeda Fire. To protect contributors, we have intentionally not allowed comm...