Friday, September 2, 2022

STUDENT STORY: TALENT ELEMENTARY STUDENT- Carina's Fire Story

 Carina’s Memories of 9-8-2020


    I remember going outside in the morning. I noticed it was hot and very windy. I played outside with the leaves blowing around. I remember getting my Covid test that morning in Medford. Then I came home and took a nap.

    I didn’t notice anything. All of a sudden, my dad yelled, “GET OUT NOW!” I said, “Is this a dream?” I tried to pack everything that I could, like my i-pad, two pairs of clothes, my blanket and snacks. I had only two minutes.

    My mom didn’t believe my dad. Mom looked out at the neighbor. He was yelling to people, “Get out, get out!!”

    My mom got our passports. We drove to Jacksonville. Then I went to Ray’s and got sandwiches. My mom bought a new shirt.

    The smoke was bad! My mom called all of the people we knew and told them to evacuate from Talent and Medford.

    I remember we went to Applegate Lake and swam in the water. Our car was low on gas and Jacksonville didn’t have any electricity, so the pumps didn’t work. Luckily, we got some gas around Jacksonville. We went to our friend’s house. We were scared! I was scared! I was scared!

    I couldn’t sleep that night; I was too scared.

    The next morning, I went outside with my parents. Then our friend got a call from her son. He’s a firefighter. He said there was a fire coming towards Williams! We were scared, then we went to our house to get more clothes. My dad got an apartment for us in Ashland. We went to our new apartment. We loaded a lot of stuff from our Talent apartment into our car. We called our friend to come over, but she did not. She went to my grandparent’s house in Ashland.

    I am so glad that everyone made it out alive. I will never forget September 8, 2020.


No comments:

Intro

     The purpose of this blog is to document the history of the Almeda Fire. To protect contributors, we have intentionally not allowed comm...